Sunday, October 2, 2011

First Colony

 I took a few process pics while making the latest, which is an assembly piece.
It began with a yard and a half of silk habotai and a similar sized chunk of reemay.
First step was to paint the reemay in the color pattern I wanted, beginning with the lightest color which outlined the shapes.

First white, then naples yellow, then began mixing some iron oxide in.












 I segued all the way to deep purple at the centers.
 Then I painted the silk in the same pattern but with the gradation going the opposite way- dark around the outside, light in the middle.
the silk, painting done.
fusible was then applied to the reemay, and I melted a pattern in it with a soldering iron.
here are 2 of reemay cutouts laid on top of the silk. 

this is the silk and the reemay, all fused together and ready for the preliminary quilting.
I put it on the machine with just felt as a backing, and sewed it all, and then cut them apart.

After I turned all the edges under, I reassembled them in the original pattern. I auditioned a lot of different colors of silk dupioni for the background, and finally chose a honey-to purple iridescent that I had overdyed with rust.   I traced the outline of the shapes on the silk with chalk, and quilted just the background.here you can just see the chalk outlines,
this is the quilting pattern


I then appliqued stitched the reemay and silk shapes over the quilted background.
this is a detail of the finished thing, am going to wait a bit before posting the completed piece.



3 comments:

  1. well that's pretty amazing - as always I'm inspired - just can't wait to see the whole piece - thanks for sharing the process as you went

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow- APU I'm impressed-really interesting to see it step by step, Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really IS fabulous. I keep staring at it and trying to soak in the steps . I am going to try it .

    ReplyDelete